The best medical image collections
Sometimes when I want to illustrate my posts, I have to search so much to find proper and possibly free images. That’s why I’ve decided to create a collection of great medical image databases. Here is my list:
- Every time, my first destination is Wikimedia Commons that is a media repository created and maintained not by paid-for artists, but by volunteers. They have a well structured category-tree, so it’s easy to search.
- Then I go to the site of the Karolinska Institutet, one of the best database collections on the Internet. They say : Occasionally, the material may be downloaded and used free of charge. Normally, however, the material is strictly copyrighted, and may be used only after first having obtained explicit permission by the rightful owner.
- Clinical images at the University of California, San Diego is a visual educational resource dedicated to providing pictures that are representative of common and uncommon physical exam findings.
- A great graphics gallery of genetics.
- And my favourite one, the Embryo Images Online.
I’m one of the maintainers at Wikipedia’s selected images for Medicine Portal. I’ve met these wonderful ones during that work: