Genetics has a new profession
I’ve recently found an interesting site, the geneticcounselor.net that tries to describe this great profession via news, links and articles.
Genetic counselors are health professionals who are trained to help families understand genetic disorders and to provide information and support to those families. They may also serve as patient advocates by referring individuals or families to local services that can be of assistance. To help understand the genetic counselors mission, let’s have a quick look at how genetic counselors relate to those not yet born…
The best way to inform the public about genetics and prenatal testing is to talk to them directly.
A video on prenatal testing:
Direct-to-consumer (DTC) Commercial and Counseling Session:
- News of genetics: let’s beat genetic diseases!
- Personalized Genetics/Genomics: Blogterview with Steven Murphy, MD
- PTC124, a Drug Against Genetic Diseases: Overview
- Genetics for the public
- MedWatch: genes, genetic tests and newborn screening
- My dream about the prevention of genetic conditions