Top 20 Facebook Applications in Science and Medicine
Facebook is a social networking site with several thousands of applications that you can add to your profile. While some of the biggest stories in the news are about the future of this community site, I thought I should create a collection of useful applications from the field of medicine, science and web 2.0. Enjoy!
Health and Medicine:
- Medline Publications: List your Medline-listed academic publications on your Facebook profile, and view your friends’ publications as well!
- Med Tracker: Use Med Tracker to share your ratings of prescription and over the counter drugs.
- Healia Health Challenge Quiz Game: You can test your health knowledge with this interactive health quiz game. Challenge your friends to see who knows more about health and medicine. You start with being Pre-Med, then you can become Medical Student and maybe, the “Chief of Medicine.”
- Support the Red Cross: Every day that you click on the Donate button on the Red Cross toolbar, FrozenBear will donate money to the Red Cross. They’ll donate 1$ for every 200 points people submit each day.
- Health tips of the day: This application displays the health tip of the day provided by RevolutionHealth.com, a free consumer health and medical web site.
- Mobile Health Coach: It’s a health coach that gives you tips throughout the day on how to live a fuller, happier life.
- Awareness Ribbons: Now you can wear your ribbons on your Facebook profile! You can choose from 300+ causes and concerns. Ribbons automatically link to Wikipedia so people can learn more about your causes.
- Quit Smoking: This application helps you give up cigarettes and stop smoking. Set up your own quit smoking program in minutes, give yourself a reward target to spend the money that you’ve saved on and record your daily progress. If you follow the plan provided, you’ll be able to buy yourself that reward on the date indicated.
- PersonalDNA: A personality test that combines thorough scientific analysis with novel questions and response techniques. Find out which one of the 256 personality types matches you, and get details that go beyond those categories, plus suggestions on how to be different.
- Be an organ donor: There is always a desperate need for more organ donors. The success of transplants depends on the generosity of donors and their families. Residents of the UK and USA can become donors by filling out a form online.
- Science Videos: A unique video search engine for science videos where every video is screened and approved based on accuracy and quality by scientists.
- Family Tree: Build your Family Tree including your relatives both on and off Facebook. Add unlimited generations of all possible ancestors. Upload a photo for each relative or simply use their Facebook profile photo. Display your tree and feature your family and heritage directly on your profile page.
- OneFamilyTree: Build your family tree online and share it among your friends and relatives. You can upload GEDCOM files, customize the family tree or search for your ancestors.
- NASA Astro Photo of the Day: Displays the NASA Astro Photo of the Day. A daily display of fantastic astronomical images chosen by the NASA.
- F@H Protein Researcher: Folding@Home is a computer program designed to aid scientists in medical research by distributing computationally-intensive tasks to home desktops all over the world. Specifically, the Stanford University developers’ goal is “to understand protein folding, misfolding, and related diseases,” and has made progress in understanding diseases such as cancer, Alzheimer’s disease, Huntington’s disease, and Parkinson’s disease.
- Blog RSS Feed Reader: It allows you to add a personal blog or corporate blog RSS Feed to your Facebook profile for your friends to read. It’s a great way to drive traffic to your blog. It works with popular blogging platforms such as Myspace, MSN Live Spaces, WordPress, Blogspot, Typepad, Movable Type, Textpattern and more.
- My Wikipedia: It allows you to display sections of Wikipedia on your profile page. By default, My Wikipedia displays the daily “Featured Article” from Wikipedia’s main page, but can be customized to display any article of your choosing.
- Second Life Link: This application integrates Facebook with the most popular Virtual World – Second Life™! You can show your Second Life Avatar to your friends, view online status of your Second Life friends or just share your virtual home and your favourite virtual places with them.
- StumbleUpon: StumbleUpon is the best tool to discover and share great websites. If you add StumbleUpon to your Facebook profile, you can share your favourite weblinks and you can also Stumble your friends’ Favourites by checking out your What’s New tab.
- Webinaria Screencast Recorder: Record your webcam, voice and desktop movements into a screencast.
I hope you enjoyed this selection and please let me know if you happen to know more Facebook applications in the field of medicine or science!