bioFOX: A Firefox Extension for Biomed Geeks
I’ve been using Firefox for years now and I would never use any other web browser. One of my reasons is the fantastic database of useful extensions. For example, here is bioFOX:
Code bioFOX aims at implementing various bioinformatics tools as an extension on the Firefox browser. Analysis of your favorite gene(s) usually require(s) retrieving it from a database like NCBI or Swiss-Prot and then performing one or more tasks including but not limited to:
- Translation of a nucleotide sequence
- Blast search (For eg. blastn, blastp etc.) of the desired nucleotide/protein sequence.
- Calculation of properties (like PI, charge, molecular weight, AT/GC content etc.) of a protein/nucleotide sequence.
- Conversion between formats (Genbank, Fasta, Swiss-Prot etc.)
- Prediction of sequence for sub-cellular localization (PREDOTAR, TargetP, pSORT etc)
You can download it here.
Another tool is Biobar which provides access to major biological data resources (Genomic, Proteomic, Functional, Literature, Taxonomic, Structural, Plant and Animal-specific databases).
(Hat tip: GooMedic.com)