2009 Predictions in Personalized Genetics
Hsien-Hsien Lei shared her 2009 predictions about personalized genetics with us and that’s where I would like to leave a few comments.
1. 23andMe will begin selling their tests on drugstore shelves.
I think they would be sued soon.
2. President Barack Obama will be offered genome sequencing.
He cannot and mustn’t accept it.
3. Apple will launch iSEQ – instant DNA testing and analysis in a handheld device.
I don’t think Apple will ever enter this market.
4. The first 10 participants in the Personal Genome Project will band together to be called Fantastic Ten. Each will reveal secret superpowers that are embedded in their DNA.
That is a possibility. But if they think wisely, they will never do something like that.
5. The U.S. government passes laws to obtain DNA from all its citizens which it says will help protect the innocent and punish criminals.
It was only possible in Iceland and will never be possible in the US.
- Patient’s DNA May Be Signal to Tailor Medication (NYT)
2009, Kansas is going Bye Bye! (The Gene Sherpa)
- Personal genomics in 2008: the year in review (Genetic Future)