Not Finally, but Another Practical Use for Second Life
Read Write Web wrote about a great idea that now works in Second Life, the virtual world.
The software, Glasshouse by Green Phosphor, lets you take data from either a spreadsheet or database query and place a 3D representation of it into a virtual world environment where it can then be explored interactively. Users are inserted into the virtual world as an avatar which can then manipulate the visualization of the data by drilling down into it, re-sorting it, or even just spinning it around to see it from all angles.
Here is the story in video:
Of course, there are many other practical uses for Second Life:
- Top 10: Virtual Medical Sites in Second Life!
- How and Why to use Second Life for Education?
- Scientific Events in Second Life?
- 23andMe in Second Life: LIVE
- Nature’s role in e-Science: Second Life conference LIVE
- Famous Scientific Bloggers in Second Life: LIVE
- Live Coverage: SciFoo lives on session about videos in science
- SciFoo lives on in Second Life: Web 2.0 and Medicine
- Live Blogging Today: First Medical Simulation in Second Life!
- Unique Medical Simulation in Second Life!
- Everything about Second Life and Medical Education
- New Educational Tools in Second Life
- Genetics in Second Life
- NHS London in Second Life
- Interview about the genetic revolution of Second Life
- Electronic Medical Records in a Virtual Hospital: Interview!
- From Virtuality to Reality: Second Life Fitness