Top 10 SNPs on SNPedia.com
SNPedia is a wiki investigating human genetics, sharing information about the effects of variations in DNA, citing peer-reviewed scientific publications. The blog of SNPedia just published the list of the 10 most popular SNPs accessed on the site.
SNPedia now contains nearly 10,000 SNPs and to welcome 2010 we’d like to highlight at least 10. These SNPs have been selected based on an elusive and ultimately subjective combination of medical importance, statistical believability, and overall general interest. This isn’t objective science though, so feel free to comment about why your favorite SNPs should have made the list.
Here is the list with the medical conditions or drugs they are related to.
- rs4244285: SNP in the CYP2C19 gene related to the antiplatelet drug clopidogrel.
- rs4149056: Determining risk for statin-triggered myopathy.
- rs1799853, rs1057910 & rs8050894: These SNPs in the CYP2C9 & VKORC1 genes help determine the optimal dose of the anticoagulant drug warfarin.
- rs10757278: Risk for coronary artery disease and it’s consequences (like heart attacks).
- rs1537415: Risk for periodontitis.
- rs3892097: This SNP encodes the CYP2D6*4 allele determining poorer outcome among breast cancer patients treated with tamoxifen
- rs1447295: Risk for prostate cancer.
- gs138, gs139, gs140: Represent the rapid, intermediate, and slow metabolizers for the detoxifying enzyme NAT2.
- rs17646946 & rs11803731: Hair curliness.
- rs2395029: A variety of conditions (like psoriasis, abacavir hypersensitivity) plus liver damage among patients taking the antibiotic flucloxacillin.